Tuesday, April 14, 2015

That unknown favorite -- Day 19



Without further ado, let me make one announcement. I am going to make up for all these lost days. I must have missed around ten days (bad me!) but trust me, this is the most of me, this blog has seen. So honestly, I am not really disappointed with whatever is going on here.

Now recently I realized what a gloomy sad writer I am! Till now I have written about a widow, a girl who gets herself assassinated, a girl who lost a chance at love and a girl who was killed by the ghost of a maid for unknown reasons. Man! I have a dark writing persona.  One day, I will come up with something happy. I am trying !

As of now, I do not have a happy story to share But I do have a happy movie to talk about. Not many of you would know about this movie. But I think I have seen it more times than the film makers themselves. It is called -"Mujhse Fraandship Karoge". That indeed is the spelling of friendship in the movie and honestly the movie is not as shady as it sounds. On the contrary it is one of a few well made movies. 

It does not have very well known actors.  Out of the 4 protagonists, one is Saqib Saleem, who was also in Bombay talkies and Hawa Hawai. The girl Saba Azaad is actually a singer and is currently seen in the Lays Ad . Tara D'souza is the third girl and besides this movie, I have seen her only in Mere brother ki Dulhan. The fourth one is Nishant Dahiya and I have not seen him anywhere besides this movie. What do I like about this movie? It is a no drama, no tears, no complications movie. All the 4 protagonists in this movie are 21 year olds and they behave like them. They are neither too silly nor too mature. They are just that -- balanced 21 year olds.

The story is full of loop holes and before I talk about the loop holes, here is the story. I will try to keep it short. 

There is Vishal -- happy, fun loving  guy who is also a writer. Nice! This is the type of writer I want to see in my social circles. The hilarious one who calls his own songs "pansy" and still write lovely songs. ( Although the real songs of the movie are by the real lyrics writer, but we will go by what has been asked us to believe). There is Preeti who is a photographer and who comes with a past. More about this later. Preeti's roommate is Malvika , the hot girl who again is a genuine person and does not have any airs about being pretty. Lastly, Rahul the rockstar who studies biochemistry in a "khachoo sa college" but is extremely popular among the girls. Also, Vishal and Rahul are best friends,

Here is the network : Preeti has a crush on Rahul and Vishal has a crush on Malvika.  Secondly, Preeti and Vishal are in the same college and they hate each other. 

Now  read this carefully -- Vishal sends a friendship request to Malvika from Rahul's FB account and Preeti accepts it on the behalf of Malvika. So at the back end, Vishal and Preeti are FB chatting non stop and falling in love with each other, while baying for each other's blood in real life. In the meanwhile, Rahul and Malvika have no idea what is going on with their FB accounts behind their backs.

Honestly , the story sounds pretty cheesy but the execution, the dialogues , the performances, songs , the other caste of the movie are all super fun. Prabal Punjabi plays Vishal's other best friend Hacky who is the funniest character and a very good actor. 

The central theme of the movie is this 25 years college event that Preeti and Vishal are working on -- "A photographic documentary on the romantic history of the college" (That's exactly how they say it). So these 2 go from couple to couple clicking pictures and listening to their stories. Soon each one realize that the other is not that bad and start behaving cordially with each other -- actually become friends!

Simultaneously, when Rahul (actually Vishal) makes plans to finally meet Malvika (actually Preeti), to cover their lie, they obviously send the real Rahul and Malvika to meet each other. So now in real life, Rahul and Malvika meet (Phew! I hope I wrote that clearly) and they hit it off famously. Malvika develops a crush on Rahul and he likes her back. However, since she knows Preeti likes him, she does nothing about her feelings. In the scene where Preeti realizes about Malvika's crush for Rahul, she actually laughs about it and is totally cool with it! See! I told you -- No drama. Slowly, Preeti starts getting attracted to Vishal and realizes that Rahul is not as interesting in real life as he seemed earlier (Rahul - Preeti and Vishal - Malvika meet too --I promise, when you see the movie, there is no confusion at all)  

Every truth is revealed in the end and all are happy of course. 

I have already written about how light and fun the movie is. Even the heavy part, where Preeti talks about how she was used by a guy or how her father abandoned the family is very easy flowing.  When Vishal catches Malvika and Rahul kissing, there are tears and raised voices but there was no scuffle and no over the top anything. Next day, Vishal and Rahul talk it out over a coffee. That is why I love this movie.

Now the major loop holes -- I know of no "best friends" who share their FB passwords with each other. I can still assume that Preeti had access to Malvika's facebook because they shared the same laptop, but I cannot digest how Vishal had Rahul's account details. Besides, it is silly that the two never got an idea of what is happening in their accounts because history in FB is very easy to access. 

I forgive the creative liberties of course. 

On another note, the same production brought "Mere Dad ki Maruti" which is again one insane laugh riot. It is incidenatlly the husband's favorite and on a day like today when I will feel like writing something light, I will talk about it.

I will see you tomorrow! (Hopefully)

No comments: