Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Same old , Same old -- Day 3




My hands are hovering over the keyboard. This is what it feels like to not know,not having a freakin clue about what to write. Still hovering --
still clueless.

Now since I really don't know what to write, I will write about a topic that has been done to death in the last few days -- The AIB roast. What did I think of the roast? Well! I laughed! I did not think it was mind-blowingly brilliant nor did I think it was boring. Here is the deal with me. I don't find profanity funny. What I do rather find funny is how much people guffaw at the utterance of abusive words. "Why?" I shrug!! Whats the joke in that?

Having said that, I found some of the content pretty funny. So yes, as I said earlier, I had a good time watching the roast. Now here is why I feel the hungama over the AIB roast was unnecesarry-- this show was different from AIB's other shows only in the format and not so much in the content. If you have attended any of their royal turds show,or even if you have seen them on youtube , you will know that all their shows are highly abusive. When they are not making fun of volunteering film stars, they are making fun of random audience members. When I attended the Royal Turds in Bangalore, they caught hold of an audience member who wore a flash t-shirt. He was literally 'roasted' throughout the show by every single member of the group. So honestly, except the fact that this show was much more daring and the actors were physically present for the show, there was nothing new -- at least nothing shocking for people like me who follow these guys closely.

Talking about being funny, I really like how the stand up comedy scene is growing, at least in Bangalore. It is nice, once in a blue moon, to laugh at things that may or may not concern you. As far as taking offence goes, I have nothing new to say. One needs to learn to laugh at oneself. But where does one draw a line? Is there a line at all? What is that one tiny divide between insulting someone and "Hey! I was just kidding!" . If I say the most derogatory things to someone while laughing, is that okay? These are just a few questions that usually come to mind whenever this whole debate takes place. But if you are worried that these stand up acts are bad influence for your children because they use a couple of f-words, then don't lose your sleep over it. There are enough sources and more than enough exposure for a young mind to know stuff we never knew at that age.

Talking about stand up comics, I find Vipul Goyal and Sapan Verma really funny. This is an awesome to the power infinity video. I have seen this guy in real and he is seriously fantastic. This one by Sapan Verma is amazing. There are many other Sapan Verma videos that I love. Recently, I have a new favorite. This guy. His content is not just funny, it is thought provoking. I hope to see him live very soon! Oh and while we are talking about funny people, I would like to add my most favorite ones here . They are not stand ups but they are superb. The Viral Fever guys. These are the best out of the lot, hands down! If I ever meet them, I am going to say a heart felt thank you. These people have made me laugh in the saddest of my moods and though that never solves a problem, it does allow light to enter your room!

There are a lot of stand up comedians these days and trust me it is a good thing. Life is fucked up people! You are stuck in a job you hate with people you hate. You start a Monday morning only to wait for a Friday evening. You wonder what will become of you in a few years. The money is always less and the expenditure always a bit more. Many reasons to frown, only a few to smile. These funny gentlemen help you increase those moments. Do yourself a favor. Laugh!

1 comment:

Neeraj Pandey said...

Though AIB is an old topic now... We need this article. Well written , specialy loved the last paragraph.