Sunday, July 3, 2011

The seven secrets of happiness!

A book with the same name was my last read. It was kind of amatureish and too fairy tale-ly. But the author takes her readers through 7 points which she calls "The seven secret of Happiness." I'll review the book later. First let me share those seven pointers. I may not have really liked the story in the book, but I did love the "secrets". Every time I read each one of the secrets I went "How true!" So here are the secrets and my thoughts on those.

1) Emotional Independence -- The author suggests that one should be emotionally independent. I somehow very truly believe this. Depending on anyone for your happiness is almost crippling. I know it is extremely easier said than done. We tend to easily look towards a person very close to our hearts for an emotional support. The day people will start looking within themselves for a smile, no one would be sad because they were ditched in a relationship or because someone very dear did not do as expected.

2) Healthy mind and body -- Needless to say, you would not enjoy a good joke with a high fever or a running nose. Exercise !!! Walk! Abandon the elevator ( I can say this without any guilt at least now because I have been a good girl and exercising lately!! :) :) )

3) Let go off jealousy -- Difficult ofcourse! The jealous pangs just come up without you even noticing it. But seriously, once we let go off that feeling and genuinely be happy for a person, it is kind of liberating. Trust me when I say this because I get the familiar J feeling whenever I see people posting FB pics of their Chciago trip, Paris trip, China trip, Ye trip, Woh trip .... But then I remind myself that being jealous is extremely negative and since I am a big time follower of positive energies, I manage to keep myself at bay! I know I will go too ... I will go travel the most exotic locations in the entire world and will post every detail on FB!!! HA! Take that people!!! :D :D :D

4)Do good deeds: Hands down yes on that !! and you know what? You really don't have to find a charitable organisation for that. Make a person smile, help a colleague, counsel a friend or at most donate blood. Somehow it feels good. Really good!

5) Hold on to your friends: Oh! So true! How many of you had a bad day and you had a mood upliftment after sharing a hearty laugh with your friends??? I am sure almost everyone! Friends are those lovely lovely gifts ... as books put it "Your chosen family" Never let go of these gems! They have come in your life as a blessing. Thank God from the deepest corners of your hearts for them. I know I do! :)

6) Seek happiness in the small moments of your life: Life is all about those small moments. Had tea standing below a chappar while it was raining? or had an extremely sound sleep? Just look around and you will find many many such small moments. Sometimes you do need to make that extra effort to make youself happy! Come on! Do it. At the end that smile is totally worth it!

7) Let go off the past: Whatever happened cannot be changed, Learn and move ahead. Past - be it good or bad holds nothing with it anymore. Relieve yourself from the baggage or keep the beautiful time spent as a wonderful memory. Whatever it may be, Let it go and smile! Remember that at the end "Life is what you make it" :)

So there you go ... No preaching here! Just what I read and feel and truly believe.. Stay happy people! Live! Laugh! Love! Let there be lots of love in this world!!! :)

1 comment:

Suraj said...

That pretty much sums it all :) ..good write !!