Sunday, October 18, 2015

Goodbyes Are Not Fun




Sometimes, when sadness looms over the heart, it hurts physically. Friday was such a day. Every time I stood up, I felt I needed a support. Every time I moved, I wanted to  stop. Maybe defeat weighed down on me. Maybe it was the pain of seeing a dear friend leave --yet again. Maybe, it was both.

Two farewells in two days is a new experience for me. When you live life for a considerable amount of years, you tend to experience a lot of new feelings. You might end up denying them -- like the three of us were denying our sorrow. Yet, in a dingy basement park under the orange light of a setting sun, we were left with no other option but to face them. We still refused to acknowledge it --even when our eyes were filled with tears, even when our voices were losing pitch, we made sure that sorrow was not welcomed. Instead, we cracked boob jokes. We feigned relief that the friend was leaving -- at least we won't have to wait hours at lunch near the lift while she heats up her food. We made plans to meet soon.

We went back, pretending life is good -- it can be better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Boob jokes Varsha? A good Indian woman shouldn't be writing things like this. Lol. By the way, it'll be nice to hear a few of them jokes!

Unknown said...

I cannot share the group jokes but I hope you liked the post :)