Saturday, October 10, 2015

Being Friends


When you turn 30, you tend to learn a few lessons in life, from life.One lesson I learnt was to make few friends but make them strong. Fortunately, I have them -- friends who have been with me since nursery, Or the third standard or the second year of college. These are people who know me, who I know and yet we are not 2 sides of the same coin. Distances in a relationship is a little-understood aspect. I am a great believer of distances -- Optimum distance of course.

Like every other group of friends, we also have a Whatsapp chat group and although I am not entirely sure how, there was a plan made -- to have a get together in a common city, which incidentally was not our hometown. So there we were, people who have probably not met in years, meeting now , accompanied with our respective spouses. We were in the same city and the same house some six years back -- all of us single, barely beginning our careers.

Things have changed -- all of us got married. One moved to switzerland and hence could not make it. We called him up at 1 in the morning to tease him about how he is missing the fun. We were up till 4 in the morning - chatting, laughing, playing cards, laughing some more, drinking tea, yawning, encouraging each other to sleep and take some rest (because we were all tired from the journey) and still not getting enough of each other.

All of us woke up at 7. It began with the owner of the house, sitting in his balcony, sipping his tea and enjoying the morning silence when I slowly stepped , probably breaking his reverie. Soon, our conversation picked up once again -- talking about nothing particular, whispering and giggling , trying our best to not wake the others up. We were joined by our third friend and soon we all had a marvellous cup of tea in our hands and we were at it again -- talking a mile a minute, about our lives, questioning each other about stuff we have missed from each other's lives, sharing experiences. opinions and thoughts.

It was time to get ready and meet the other two. So after a lot of shaking ourselves from the incomplete rest and laziness, we were there , meeting two of my bestest and strongest friends. These two are the ones who were in the same school as me. They have seen my ups and downs. We couldn't stop randomly hugging each other . I couldn't stop looking at those two and noticing all the difference that had come up after we all grew up. Both of them are mothers now -- they talk about their daughters with a lot of love in their eyes. I know better than to stop them.

The world has changed in the 20 years that we have known each other and none of us were spared from that. Social media was dominant in our conversation and before all of us got down to really talk, there was a lot of tagging and clicking pictures. Memories being made before they even get created. I had an objection to that. I expressed it and people obliged.When people meet after years, two things happen. Either, there is a lot to talk about or there is nothing to talk about. All of us were stuck somewhere in between. There was an awkwardness too, created by time and distance. A few of  us had given up on that awkward feeling , a few of us were still trying to bridge the gap. However, when I look at that evening, I only have good times to think about.

The same night we were joined by yet another friend who could not make it in the morning. We were back at home with playing card, dinner, tea, nonsense chit and everything in between. While the guys played cards, me and a friend's wife (now my friend too) played our own game of disturbing them. A whole lot of jokes and laughter ensued. Somewhere, I wanted to point out that this is how memories were made -- it did not require location tagging and innumerable selfies (although they are good too) It just required being together.

Earlier in the day, while walking by the road, a friend remarked, "According to a study, if you manage to be friends with a person for seven years, you will remain friends with them for life."
"Then we all crossed that bar ages ago" I said. My reply was met with bright smiles. Yes, it feels great to know that there are friends who have seen me then, who are with me now and hopefully, even after years, we will remain together. There may be a lot of things I might want to change in my life, but when it comes to these guys, I think I am good!



1 comment:

Vibha said...

You have grown up....:-)