Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Of Writing and Self Discipline

Apparently, I was supposed to write every single day in the month of February. Since the last post was on 4th of Feb, it is evident that unfortunately I did not stick to my commitment. Probably the biggest reason was exactly that. The toughest job in the world is to stick to your own commitment. We tend to go too easy on ourselves, don't we? Discipline is easy to teach. "Self Discipline" is the hardest to learn. I am not alone. How many of us decide to get up early, exercise or pick up some fruitful activity and make it a habit? And how many of us actually do it? Discontinuation of the the so called "New Year Resolutions" every single year of your adult life is proof enough of the fact that the hardest thing is to be tough on your own self. So what brought me back here? This!! Amitabh Bachchan's blog. This man is ...well ... he is not different from any one of us. He just has way too much control on himself. And this one simple trait puts him leaps and bounds ahead from lesser mortals like me.
During my engineering preparations I used to attend coaching under a man named Anil Aggarwal. One day, which seemed like any normal day when it began, Anil sir was in a furious mood. He was throwing questions at us and no body was able to answer them in all confidence. He had proved his point. We were not serious about our preparations. Frustrated, he did what all teachers do -- lectured us for one straight hour. NON STOP!! For some unknown reason, I heard that lecture with rapt attention. (Maybe I was too guilty for not answering his bouncer questions) He said something which never goes away from my memory. This was the time when 9/11 had freshly happened. He said , "That terrorist must have trained day in and day out for an operation he knew he was going to die." "This" , he said pointing towards the board, "you know will make your life. And you still cannot give it enough commitment?" True , right? Ladies and Gentlemen reading my blog, the point I want to make here is, this : It all lies within!! ALL we need to do is to "wake up the giant within" Tough? Very!! Achievable? quite!!
So I erase the commitment board and start fresh. I still can not make any promises. A simple technical reason being I do not have net at home as yet and with all the work in office, I might miss writing here. But try I will!!
People reading this can probably drop ideas on what I should write, in the comments below. :)

No comments: