Monday, September 3, 2012

Safedi ki chamkaar?

I did not want to write about this. It is too cliched a topic and has been written and discussed about so many times that many people are tired of it. But yet , it continues to dominate the Indian society -- The obsession of Indians with a fair skin. Majorly fair skinned girls.It was a telemarketing ad which provoked me to write this. I have seen so many examples in my real life that I don't even have to start with the atrocious advertisements on the telly. However, I will get to them later. I am immediately reminded of my neighbor family in Bhopal,who were welcoming a newly born baby girl in their family. There happiness was "unfortunately" marred by the fact that the baby was a little dark in complexion. So the grand mother used to give her some oil massages which were believed to lighten the skin. I remember going to see the baby girl and the grand mother very happily exclaimed, "Her skin has become lighter thanks to my massages. She was darker when she was born." I didn't even want to give the dignity of acknowledgment to her stupid remark. This was just one of the many incidents I have seen.
Talking about the advertisements on Tv, they are nothing but derogatory to the female population. Yes I am a feminist. So, a girl has to be fair to land up a job and get the required confidence? Ugly guys can still get them ...right? The ad of Genelia Dsouza becoming a cricket commentator after applying a fairness cream, or another female becoming the "son" of the house by using the same cream and becoming the earning member of the family is so downright idiotic, I wonder why were they never sued by the entire female population together! Also, only the wife has to work on her to hold the attention of her man, lest he does not get bored and stray away? So much so that she is not even allowed to age gracefully! Thanks to all the "anti-aging" cremes! On the contrary a man can grow old, develop a pot-belly and still not worry about whether his wife may crave for good looks as well! Cherry on the cake are the vaginal fairness creams! They probably were in a competition of who can have the most ridiculous idea and this idea was the winner, hands down! This person took the meaning of the sentence "Its what inside that counts" too literally!
Where is the emphasis on a better personality, a way of carrying one's self, speaking well, confidence and a good sense of dressing and most importantly the emphasis on being a good human being? No wonder girls succumb to such pressure. Yes all human beings dig for everything that is beautiful. But unfortunately, beauty still is skin deep. It is going to take a long long time for everyone to change their thinking in India.

No comments: