Saturday, August 1, 2015

Sucky Story Series (Day 1) The unlikely detective (Incomplete)

“Salesman for the world and detective for … well for the world.” That does not work. Raman squinted and studied the floor. “Was that a cockroach? Is there a cockroach den somewhere? Anyway,The boss will stamp me instead of the bloody creature.”  He walked towards the cockroach to squish it with his feet.

“Where will I get the Armani perfumes?”  A girl in a yellow dress asked.  “That side Ma’am” He pointed his finger towards the perfume section.  

“Armani perfume, why not Hugo Boss, why not Channel, why does this woman want only Armani? Anyway, I should have a brand name .. like James Bond. I’ll get to wear Armani suits. But what should my description be? “Sleep peacefully, because I am here?” Too ..inspired. Raman did not realise he was standing still with squinted yes, right at the centre of the huge store.

“If I see you once again squinting at nothingness, I will make sure I give you to the cops you are so eager to be with.” He felt a slap at the top of his head. The boss had caught him again. “Not the cops, detectives! There is a difference .. Huge difference.”

“Don’t answer me back kid! You are my grandson’s age! “

“I am 21 and you are old and I know you will never let me go.” Raman flashed his goofiest smile. He knew he can melt the boss once more like he has done several times earlier.

“Oh let you go, I will. One more month of no rent and you are gone. Trust me on that. Next thing you know, Mr. Raman Chatarjee is on his way home to Calcutta”

“You hardly pay me!” Raman shrugged and raised his hand.
“I pay you well enough my lad! I know all your money goes away in your binoculars and detective gadgets and detective diaries and books and …”
“Have you been snooping around? You don’t snoop in a detective’s room!”
“That’s my house you live in. I don’t have to snoop in my own house.”            
“Raunak … he saw Raunak , I am dead … dead like a dead person …dead ..dead dead”  Raman could feel a sweat tickling him, like it’s a joke .

“And although I am fine, your aunty will not like the dog oh and stop squinting like that!”

“You know about Rounak – umm he is my assistant .. I …was about to ..” he trailed off.

“Does not matter. Son”, the boss was now serious “Stop this detective obsession. Do something serious with your life. You are a good lad , full of promises, very popular I must say,. Don’t waste your life like ..like this ..squinting into air all the time.

“I don’t squint Boss.  I think – I think hard. It helps me look –really look. And when I will become the world’s best detective, you will know and you will feel proud. That was my lad – the best detective in an Armani suit! You would say. That’s not wasting life Boss, that’s passion. And
Rounak will be my smart assistant” Raman was squinting again, now towards the ceiling.
The boss sighed and slumped his shoulders.

2 comments:

Friends Forever said...

Were you trying to write a detective story here? Or were you just writing some story?

Unknown said...

This was a Write club writing prompt. We were supposed to create a character,give him quirks and then try a detective angle.