Thursday, March 7, 2013

Happy Women's Day!!





This probably is not the best time to be a woman in India. With rapes and molestation almost becoming a trend, it is surprisingly sad that although we boast of technological advances, we are almost no where when it comes to respect for a woman. Every one will agree with me that we still have a long long way to go to give woman a safe and secure environment. I don't think we ask for a lot. We only ask for a worry free environment.

I want to go out , enjoy myself and comeback without having to worry about how late is it going to be and how will I come back home, again without having to trouble a male friend to drop me back. I want to wear a dress without having to worry if I will be gawked upon and ogled at. I don't want my parents to worry when I live away from them in a stranger city. I want to climb the career ladder without being trampled upon, without being questioned about my credibility. I want to be accepted for who I am. Not much, really !!

Having said that, I realize that I am living a life which is far far better than many unfortunate women in our country. I have been given the freedom to make my own career, have my own identity. Fortunately, I was not stopped for anything just because I am a girl. For this, I say a heartfelt thank you. Especially to all the men around who thankfully do know how to respect and support the women around them. A part of my dad still lives in the 1800s. Thankfully he never showed it on his 2 daughters. He let us be. I was sent to Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore without any questions. Infact I remember, dad refused an alliance in my fourth year of engineering. His reason? "Let her atleast make a career for herself" he said. "The guy is settled in the US". Came an argument from the other side. "My daughter will go to the US on her own, Thank you". I have never been proud of him so much ever before!! I still have not made it to US yet, but I was given wings to fly.

I am also thankful to all my male friends. Only today in the morning Amber and I were discussing ( The discussion germinated the seed of this blog, btw) of how, luckily, all out male friends are thorough gentlemen. They may be mad, but they are good boys. Thank you boys. Thank you for the drops home late night, thank you for shielding us in a disc, thank you for not being jerks. Yes you really make fun of us, you irritate us, but without gentlemen like you, India would have been doomed.

Lastly, I have to THANK God a gazillion times for getting me married to the most chivalrous guy! Yes, I am one of those few exceptionally lucky females, who has her chair pulled for her in restaurants, who was given a wonderful cup of tea this morning and who sometimes go home to find utensils washed or milk boiled without having to say it!! The best part about Rahul is that he is a gentleman for every girl around him. He is that guy who will get up to give you a seat, who will pick up a fight with goons, even if you are not his girl friend/wife. Also, how many girls can claim to have a husband and a fashion consultant rolled in one? Ahem!! I can! :) Just a few added advantage!

Wishing every woman a very very happy women's day. Here is to the juggling and balancing we do with so much panache! Here is to the artificial smiles for a broken heart and to the real tears for a broken nail. Here is to managing our bank accounts and yet forgetting where we kept our scrunchies! Here is to the tastiest meals for the family and the disastrous cup of tea for ourselves, which we still gulp down! Here is to knowing that we are being judged and still not giving a shit!! Here is to the sarees and the LBDs, to the flats and the stilettos! I love being a girl and I am sure, despite everything, every girl does!!

Oh and one more thing. All mood swings of a woman is not PMS. Trust me!! Sometimes, We are genuinely pissed off! Cheers!!

2 comments:

Aj said...

So so true !!! we are lucky to have such amazing parents!!
I agree our friends are genuinely nice and of course ur dude deserves all d raving n praise !!
Loved d last bit ... Proud to b a woman !!

Deepu Thomas said...

Happy Women's Day Varsha !!! Cheers to the woman who writes the only blog I somehow follow..:-)