Monday, July 9, 2012

My best 5 senses

My latest read is called "How to think like Leonardo Da Vinci". Honestly, it is not a really great book and I dont think I will start thinking like Da Vince once I am done reading it. But there was one interesting thing this book asked me to do and I thought I can make it my next blog topic since anyway I am totally out of topics to write these days. The author asks to list the best 5 senses experience you have had in your past. So hear goes my list :

Best Sight : I am sure this is yet to come when I go on my dream "world tour" trip. But till then, it will be watching snow fall on a mountain from a distance while standing at Pangyong lake in Laddakh. Pangyong lake is probably the most beautiful place I have ever visited and the snow fall looked like melting clouds. It was just ..."dreamy". Until I go to Europe and see the wonderful sights I only see in pictures, this is going to my best "sight" experience.

Best Taste : I am not really fussy about food. I eat almost anything veg kept in front of me. So the "Best taste" might have eluded me. But one experience does come to my mind. Ritu (Thats my elder sister for the uninitiated) had once brought freshly baked just-out-of-oven chocolate pastries from a near by bakery. They literally melted in the mouth. I have never had tastier pastries than them. This story is probably 10 years old now and I still remember the texture ,smell and taste of those amazing ABH pasteries!!

Best Touch : Undoubtedly when Lona (Thats Ritu's daughter) ran to hug me ... not because she adores me but because she had switched off the main circuit leaving the entire house in darkness and she was afraid that her mother is going to spank her little butts till they turn blue. Since I am the "santa Claus" mausi who meets them probably only once in a year, I always save her from her mother's fury. The little one ran to me and hugged me calling out the whole time "Mausi maine kuch nahi kiya". That was the moment I realized why parents love their children so much even when they are nothing but soul sucking little demons. It was the sweetest touch ever for me and although I knew she had switched off the mains, I just didn't have the heart to turn the little criminal to the "authorities" :)

Best Sound : I will again have to go back Laddakh . We were lingering outside of Shanti Stupa enjoying the beautiful scenery, clouds and mountains of Laddakh. There was one angrez nomad , with long hair and all the works, playing the flute, wonderfully. I think it was the beauty of the place which added to the beauty of the sound or vice versa. But unknowingly, this counts in as my most beautiful sound experience ever.

Best Smell : This might be a very common answer and the most agreeable one as well. The smell of the earth after the first rains. That smell is sort of magical. It takes you back to your childhood, it brings out the writer in you, it brings out the cook in you (inspiring you to make hot pakoras and chai :) )It just fills in you and makes you smile. As I always say, nature never stops to surprise you. Rains has the quality of making you happy, sad and even irritable. One may associate lots of emotions with the rains. But the emotions attached to the first rain of the season is ALWAYS happiness and a sense of relief and ofcourse the earth rejoices along with us --its happiness surrounds us in the form of the wonderful smell!!

So these are my best 5 senses experience. I dont know how much this exercise will make me think like Leonardo, but it surely was fun to actually realize it. What are your best 5 senses experience?

No comments: