Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ek garam Chai!


It came in with the British Raj and stayed back forever. Although we Indians gave the "tea" own twist and made it into this amazingly,tasty, energetic drink. I dont even remember when I got addicted to it. But while I was in bhopal, every morning started with a cup of 'mom ke hath ki chai' and 2 slices of bread. Things have not changed even now when I visit home. I have realized that unless it is an extremely bad cup of tea, I can savor a cup anytime, any moment of the day or night for that matter. This especially reminds me of Noida when a hot cup of 'chai' was essential to get into your senses which were left numb by the merciless winters. I remember pouncing on to the little "tapri" of a shop for that elusive steaming cup of 'adrak ki chai' so that my nose can take in whatever little cold noida air that it could manage!

I am sure, everyone has more than one memorable "chai" moment. For me, the morning in Jim Corbett with Vibha comes first in my mind. Loveliest of sunrise, a hot cup of tea and an amazing friend/room partner! Life felt blissful.

Another one was the laddakhi chai at Khardung la pass --- the world's highest motor able road. The best part was the maagie which was accompanied with the already amazing tea. Again a beautiful place, super cold. nice friends , maggie and tea! What else can you ask for? Probably an entire hang out tea joint at apna very own Bangalore! That brings us to Chai Patty!

I had discovered this small cosy hang out joint at 100 feet when i was searching for a decent place to live in Bangalore. It maybe a tad bit expensive but I love the ambiance and again its maggie! The best day in Chai Patty was when it was pouring cats and dogs and I was sitting with a friend in one comfortable dry corner of Chai Patty, all sprawled about, listening to coke studio, ordering chai after chai and loving the rains! Then ofcourse, the long gappey session with friends over cups of innumerable tea is something which anyone and everyone can identify with.

I am the conventional one when it comes to tea. No tea bags or milk powder tea for me. No green teas and strictly no machine teas (I gulp some nakli machine tea in office just to remove the drowsiness)! Plain, simple, proper boiled, adrak or masala for added flavors is the best tea in the world. Give me that and give me a good book or a good movie and I have with me happiness wrapped in the daily ordinary life!

6 comments:

Chaggoholic.... said...

Varsha thanks for keeping us in ur good time memories. Just so u enjoy it even more the next time you go to Chaipatty you get ur Chai on the house from us and also the new menu is here. Chai is cheaper and portions of maggi & pakodas bigger. Check it out by clicking on the Menu link on this page :)

http://www.chaipatty.com/services.html

Rao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rao said...

Sounds like such a fabulous place to go and have chai! been hearing so much about it,just waiting fr the right company to join in ;) ! Can't wait to visit this place !

Anonymous said...

Tea is a way of life by itself. It is An Adda of One. Wish you and your readers all the best in the new year.

deeptesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deeptesh said...

so you started posting pics...but why don you click one by yourself and.....:)