Friday, August 5, 2011

Dont be the best ...

There is a fight out there ... to be the best. In everything! Best student, best employee, best friend, best mother, best teacher --- Mediocricity is not the name of the game. Thats what my MBA instructor used to tell me. Everbody seems to be running towards the "Best Someone" trophy. A few grab it and rest are left behind. How much of life do we really experience in this race? A little breather may not really kill anyone. I was and maybe still a part of that race. But I am okay if I am not the best. I have mentioned this before. I wanted to come first in my class in school. I wanted to be a topper in college. Today, all of us are leading the same lives. I am doing pretty well for myself and seriously it probably does not matter that i never came first. Yes maybe if I had been an IIT or/and IIM passout, I may be drawing a bigger salary. But still I would have been going to the same 9-6 job, would have still waited for the weekends and cribbed on sunday evenings. I would have still worried about my taxes, complained about my manager, hung around with friends and longed to go home.

It is okay if you are not the best. People make mistakes. The topper was the topper because she made made lesser mistakes in her answer sheets than anybody else in the class. But you really dont learn anything if everything goes smoothly in life. What matters is that you give your best. What is really important that at the end of the day when you go to bed and analyse your day, you should not regret and say, "I didnt do that work properly because i felt lousy doing it!"

Take a chill pill! There is probably not much of a difference between the "best" and you.

No comments: